Android devices and Isa mail
Android 5 and newer
Choose Add account
Choose Existing account
For address, give firstname.lastname@example.org (this is the actual emailbox, your email@example.com email is directed into this firstname.lastname@example.org emailbox.)
Authenticate through a HAKA login 'Login to Isa mail' with your username and password (not with email address).
Open your Gmail application and check your student email there.
Android 4 and older:
Getting the mobile password
Using Isa mail with an older mobile device requires a separate password known as a "mobile password". The mobile password is used only when Isa mail is accessed with something other than a web browser.
1. Open the link https://account.jyu.fi and log in
2. Select "User account and email"
3. Click the button Isa mail mobile password "Create password"
4. After a moment you will see your mobile password on the page. Use this password whenever you are adding the Isa mail account to a mobile device.
Adding Isa mail account to the device
Note! Do not activate an Android device using your Isa mail account! You can add an Isa mail account in addition to another Google account. The actual device activation of an Android device using Isa mail is not recommended. Isa mail is not everlasting, but only in use for as long as your studies at JYU continue. The University of Jyväskylä, IT Services and Google assume NO responsibility in case of problems if the device activation is done with an Isa mail account.
In this guide an Android 4.1 device by Samsung has been used. On different devices with different manufacturers it may look a bit different - but the principle is the same..
1. Open the "Settings" menu and select "Add account"
2. Select "Google"
3. The device will ask if you want to use an existing Google account or create a new one. Select "Existing"
4. Type in the following information:
Email: email@example.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org - do NOT use firstname.initial.lastname in this)
Password: mobile password - check above!
Then select "Next" or similar.
5. The device will ask you to agree to a few terms of service / privacy policies of Google. Accept by selecting "OK"
6. The device may ask for credit card information. Select "Not now". Do NOT ever set up a credit card for your Isa mail account!
7. Choose which items you want to synchronize and then select "Next" or similar. Now the Isa mail account has been added!